Edward C Kitson, ISA AM, Antiques, Furnishings + Decorative Arts
Edward C Kitson
ISA member since Feb 07, 2017
(413) 579-6839 (Office)
(503) 235-0946 (Other)
5 State St
c/o Aves Appraisal
BOFBC Third Floor
Shelburne Falls, MA 01370 map
407 N Broadway
c/o Gary Germer & Associates
Portland, OR 97227 map
Edward has the experience to provide cost-effective, objective and independent valuation services.
Appraisal and valuation services are an extension of his life-long interest in the stories told by objects.
His first career was as a professional archaeologist, mostly in Northeastern North America, with some time spent in the Pacific Northwest. Edward was a specialist in stone tools, historic and prehistoric ceramics, soils and research project management at large scales.
Edward took his material culture specialty skills and spent 10 years running and growing an upscale resale operation for a mid-sized non-profit organization. He was responsible for founding multiple retail outlets, a world-wide online business and a well-read material culture information and sales blog.
He then transitioned into the private sector, running high-end estate sales and conducting appraisals while delivering excellent value and superior service for customers and clients in the Pacific Northwest centered around Portland, Oregon.
While maintaining consulting appraisal contacts in the Northwest, Edward returned to the Northeast in 2019. He is the founder of Aves Appraisal, Valuation and Estate Services which works throughout all of New England including Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, eastern New York and other locations as needed.
Edward has extensive experience with general residential contents, both as an appraiser and as a former seller. He has an abiding interest and expertise in 20th Century Art Pottery, Modern Glass, and Mid-Century Modern Furniture and Decor. He has had experience with museum quality collections of Silver, Antique Firearms, Telescopes, Meteorites and other objects.
Edward is also known for his love of obscure and hard-to-crack research problems.
Recent projects include:
- Donation Appraisal for a collection of leaves from Incunables (books printed before 1500 AD).
- Estate Appraisal including a number of works by Hudson River School artists.
- Estate Appraisal of a ‘well-filled’ house including historic books and 19th century commemorative objects (medallions, ephemera).
- Estate Appraisal including a collection of historic telescopes, optical and scientific equipment and early printed books (incunabula and post-incunabula).
- Insurance Appraisal of a significant collection of mid-century modern ceramics, silver, art, furniture and associated library. Edward was the primary appraiser for the books and provided significant professional assistance for the remaining objects.
- Fair market valuation of cabinetry by a significant 18th century Boston cabinet maker.
- Estate visits to assist families with identification of potentially valuable contents.
- Objet d'art & De Vertu
- Equitable Distribution
- Estate Evaluations
Performs Appraisals Of