Becoming an Appraiser
Whether you are looking to supplement your current profession by offering appraisal services or looking to build a career as a personal property appraiser, ISA will give you the knowledge and expertise you need to become a success.
First, What is a personal property appraiser?
- Fine Art
- Sports Memorabilia
- General residential contents
- Machinery and equipment
The value of these items is often up for debate, whether in divorce settlements, tax assessments, or sales of property. A professional appraiser helps clients by providing a written opinion of value upon which their clients can base financial decisions. Rather than being just an "educated guess," a professional appraiser's value conclusions are based on prescribed methods of valuation, research, and report writing. Bankers, financiers, investors, insurers, adjusters, estate managers, trustees, executors, attorneys, judges, federal and state tax agencies—all are dependent upon the knowledge and expertise of an appraiser.
A competent, qualified appraiser has formal education in appraisal theory, principles, procedures, ethics, and law.
ISA's methodology training, specialty courses, requalification requirements, and business tools are designed to create the most highly trained and business-savvy personal property appraisers anywhere.
Am i qualified to become an appraiser?
There are many paths to becoming an appraiser. Those entering the appraising profession come from all backgrounds and walks of life:
- May work in a variety of fields, including academia, auctions, art galleries, banking, estate liquidation, insurance, jewelry, legal services, and museums
- May be art scholars, curators, collectors, museum staff, antique dealers, auctioneers, and estate liquidators
- May be recent graduates with degrees in Art History, Art & Design or similar areas of study
- May just have a passion as a collector that they want to turn into a career
Your Appraising Career Starts Here
Explore the many ways ISA can help you launch your appraising career.
What's it Really Like?
Read the ISA blog post, "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Becoming an Appraiser (But Were Afraid to Ask)" by ISA member, Jillian Van Volkenburgh.